When opened in December 1939 as a Woolworths store, this five storey building housed a retail outlet at street level, The Balcony cafeteria on its first floor and stores, staff rooms and a kitchen on its other three floors. Its modernist design incorporated a green-glazed, ceramic-tiled façade and steel- and bronze-framed windows and doors.

During World War Two, it housed the Combined Services canteen and, in the post war period, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation leased the three upper floors and adapted them into studios, etc. Prime Minister Menzies launched the official opening of the ABC’s Television Service in November 1956. The ABC lease continued until 1985.

Jackson Teece prepared the Conservation Plan and provided advice on the adaptive reuse of the building and the conservation of the façade and other important portions of the fabric of the building. These included the tiling and the steel- and bronze-framed windows and doors, the plaster decorations and ceiling, the terrazzo and parquetry flooring, the wall lining and the staircase linking the ground to the first floor.

The building now houses the Kings Cross Library on the first and second floors, City of Sydney Council offices in the basement and a council One-Stop-Shop on the ground floor.